How To Choose New Flooring Like A Pro!
(Free Information by Consumer Advocate - No Flooring Sales)
Carpet Quiz Answers
1. Do you know which padding to use for your home? Which padding is the best deal?
2. Here are some common features padding may have for an extra charge. Do you know what benefits they provide? Which of these features do you think are worth paying extra for?
3. Do you know what Padding Density to choose?
4. Do you know what thickness of pad is required?
5. Do you know about Carpet Fibers? Which fiber is most resilient?
6. There are different ways to make carpet. Would you rather choose a Continuous Filament Nylon fiber or go with a Nylon Staple Fiber?
A Continuous Filament is the smart way to go. Carpets made with a staple fiber (short lengths of fiber) are prone to shedding and fuzzing. That means you would be vacuuming up bag after bag of carpet fibers. It is not fun, it's bad for kids and pets who may inhale the loose fibers. Shedding and fuzzing can continue up to one year after installation.
Care and Maintenance
How you care for your carpet will determine how long it will last.
7. How many people live in your home?
8. How many days per week do you vacuum on average?
7 & 8, Rule of thumb, vacuum as many times per week as you have people living in your home.
9. Do you have a good vacuum with a beater bar?
10. How often do you have your carpet professionally cleaned?
11. Do you keep all the receipts for the professional cleanings?
12. Do you know what the following carpet definitions / conditions mean? Which of these conditions are covered by the manufacturer's warranty?
NONE of the above
Even though you may or may not know what these terms mean, in most cases, none of these common carpet problems are covered by the typical manufacturer’s warranty. Read your carpet warranty to find out what is covered and for how long.
13. Have you visited the website of "The Carpet and Rug Institute"? (www.carpet-rug.org)
14. Are you familiar with the requirements set forth in "The Carpet & Rug Institute's Standard 105 for Residential Installation"?
15. Do you know which manufacturer's warranties apply to your particular carpet?
Most carpet warranties are now available online. Here is my list of carpet mill websites
16. If some of your carpet is found to be defective and you file a valid claim with the carpet manufacturer, what do you think will typically happen next?
It is your responsibility to inspect the carpet for obvious defects before the installers install it in your home. This means you will have to ask the installers to roll it out for you to inspect thoroughly. (in your driveway?) Once the installers cut the carpet, you will lose your carpet defect warranty if an obvious carpet defect is later found.
In some cases they will pay the installers to remove and reinstall your defective carpet. It is unlikely they will pay to move your furniture or compensate you for your time and trouble or time off work. There may be some difference in color shading or texture from the old carpet to the new carpet due to dye lot variations.
17. What is the best day to have your new carpet delivered to your home:
18. What is the best climate to have your carpet installed
19. What should do you do before the carpet installer begins to install your new carpet?
All of the above. It pays to have your eyes and ears open and be aware of what is going on in your home at all times.
20. What do you do after the carpet installer is finished installing your carpet?
The installer is supposed to remove all carpet and padding scraps and haul them away, vacuum thoroughly and finish job completely before you make the final payment. Carpet seams that look bad today, will look just as bad in a week or two.
Don't let the installer convince you that carpet seams will look better once the carpet has had time to settle in. Have them fix all problems right now before they leave, and before you make final payment. Withhold final payment until you are completely satisfied. It is your ONLY leverage.
So how did you do?
Did you learn something? I made this quiz an informative aspect of my website because I want you to be aware of a few things you need to know about before you start making the hard choices about choosing new carpet.
There is so much more information you need to know before you set foot inside any carpet retailer and spend a dime on new carpet. The important thing right now is that you do your homework before you begin shopping for carpet.
If you learned something by taking this short quiz, then it should be a wake-up call for you. The questions on this quiz are the easy ones. It gets harder to make the right choices and carpet scams are common.
Most people really think they know enough to buy carpet wisely, but few really do. Some people put their trust in the hands of carpet salespeople. This is a common mistake. I get e-mails all the time from consumers who blindly took the advice of a salesperson only to get burned.
Carpet is a major purchase! Don't take chances. If you make just one simple mistake in your carpet purchase, you stand to lose hundreds of dollars or worse. You must choose a carpet that meets your needs and lifestyle.
Your home must be measured accurately, you must use the correct pad, you must have your carpet installed correctly, you must follow your carpet warranty requirements and you need to get a Good deal for the whole job.
Free To Print: