you Know Enough About Buying Carpet to Avoid Making Serious and Costly Mistakes?
my Carpet Buying Quiz before you start shopping for carpet to find out!
Buying carpet is not as simple as it was 30 or 40 years ago.
and today it is very easy to make the wrong carpet choices. Smart
carpet shoppers do their homework and research before making such an important
and expensive purchase of buying new carpet.
Can you make all the right choices and get the
whole job done start to finish? Maybe so, my simple carpet quiz will put your
carpet buying knowledge to the test!
Are you a Smart Shopper? You better
hope so. First, take your sweet time! There are hundreds or thousands of your
hard-earned dollars at stake! Second, have a game plan! You should already have
a good idea about what carpet style and main characteristics of the carpet and
pad you want to buy. You should know how long you want your carpet to last and
about how much it's going to cost for the carpet, the pad and the installation,
long before you reach for your checkbook.
When you visit any retail carpet
store, you don't want to start asking advice from the carpet salesperson. Most
of your carpet buying questions should have been researched and answered long
before you start shopping for carpet. Any questions you have for the salesperson
should be limited to "How much does this carpet cost per
yard?", or " Do your installers use a power-stretcher?" or
"Can I see a copy of the manufacturer's carpet warranty?".
After you visit several carpet stores, you'll almost
think you're buying carpet from a used car lot. The last thing you need is high-pressure
salespeople and a garbage can full of conflicting information. You will
quickly understand the reason why you don't want to ask carpet salespeople for
Find out if you're ready to start
shopping for carpet, or if you should stay home tonight and read my E-book
"The Complete Carpet Buying Guide".
1. Do you know which carpet padding to use for your home?
- Synthetic fiber
- Recycled fabrics
Which padding gives the most value for your dollar?
2. Here are some common features padding may have for an extra charge. Do
you know what benefits they provide? Which of these features do you think are
worth paying extra for?
- None of the
- It doesn't matter
3. Do you know what Padding Density to choose?
- 6 pound
- 8 pound
- 10 pound
- The higher the better
4. Do you know what thickness of pad is required?
- The thicker the better
5. Do you know about carpet fibers? Which fiber is most resilient?
- Olefin or polypropylene
- Polyester or
- Nylon / polyester blend
- Sorona / Smartstrand
6. There are different ways to make carpet
fibers. Would you choose a
Continuous Filament fiber or go with a Staple Fiber?
- Continuous filament
- Staple fiber
- I love to vacuum
Carpet Care and Maintenance
How you care for your carpet will
determine how long it will last.
7. How many people live in your home?
8. How many days per week do you
vacuum on average?
9. Do you have a good vacuum with a beater bar?
- What is a beater bar?
10. How often do you have your carpet professionally
- Every 6 months
- Once a year
- Every other year
- Every three years
- Why bother
11. Do you keep all the receipts for the professional
- Why bother
12. Do you know what the following carpet definitions / conditions
mean? Which of these conditions are covered by the
manufacturer's new carpet warranty?
- Fading or color loss
- Footprints or indentations
- Filtration soiling
- None of the above
13. Have you visited the website of "The Carpet and
Rug Institute"? (CRI)
- Visit carpet-rug.org
14. Are you familiar with the requirements set forth in
"The Carpet & Rug Institute's Standard 105 for Residential
- Visit carpet-rug.org
15. Do you know which manufacturer's warranties apply to
your particular carpet?
- Who cares
16. If some of your carpet is found to be defective and
you file a valid claim with the carpet manufacturer, what do you think will
typically happen next?
- They will refund my money 100%
- They will refund a percentage of my money
- They will replace all my carpet with another carpet
of my choice
- They will remove all of the old carpet and install
new carpet of the exact same type and style.
- They will remove the defective carpet areas only and
install new carpet of the same type and style.
- They will issue a pro-rated credit to your
retailer equal to the cost of the carpet material only, for the affected
area only, the credit is good only toward new carpet from the same
manufacturer. They will not pay to remove your old carpet, nor will they pay
to have your replacement carpet installed.
- They will pay to have the carpet repaired
How well your carpet is installed
will determine how long it will last...
17. What is the best day to have your new carpet delivered to your home:
- The day it is to be installed
- The day before
- The week before
- I donít know
18. What is the best climate to have your carpet installed
- On a warm day with the doors open
- On a cool day with the doors closed
- Any day with the heater on (66*F) before
and during installation
- I donít know
19. What should do you do before the carpet installer begins to install your
- Move all small breakables and valuables into a safe and secure area
- Make arrangements for kids and pets to be out of the work areas
- Check to make sure the installer will use a power-stretcher
- Take photographs or a video of the entire area in case you need to prove
damages in court
- Make sure the installer has brought the right carpet style, quality and
- Have the installer roll out the carpet so you can check the carpet for
- Make sure you have the original carpet sample so you can compare it with
the carpet delivered
20. What should you do right after the carpet installer
has finished installing your
- Call all your friends to come over and see the new carpet!
- Inspect the carpet installation completely. Withhold final payment until
you are completely satisfied.
- Pick up all the carpet scraps and vacuum the carpet well.
- Show the installer where you want all the carpet and pad waste to go.
- Ask how long the carpet seams will look so obvious.